This crumbling structure is an iteration of Wrocław’s oldest mill, built in 1242 and functioning under various names - Arnold, Klara, Matthias, Corpus Christi, Phoenix, and others - through the ages. Changings hands mostly between various religious orders and burning down occasionally in fires, the mill (or two mills, actually) became the property of the Prussian state in 1810, ushering in an era of prosperity. Under the Prussians, the mill complex was modernized, spruced up in classicist style, and expanded to include a granary, becoming one of the most modern and effective in the region. The buildings survived the war, but in the 1960s the era of watermills came to an end in Wrocław, giving way to electrical solutions. Maria was converted to a residential building, with the mechanical fixtures sadly removed and destroyed, then very nearly met its demise during the Millennium Flood in 1997, when debris built up dangerously around its pillars. Luckily the historical landmark avoided being blown up, but 20+ years on it’s still unclear how best to preserve it. Recently Maria has been purchased by an investor, possibly to be converted to retail and improved residential space, but for now the building simply continues to erode.